[TxMt] Quick find and open last closed file

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Wed Feb 7 23:42:53 UTC 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 6:11 PM, Juan wrote:

> Things like Menu control (building them, etc),

Not sure what menus you are referring to, but tm_dialog allows
commands to do a lot of things.

> open/close hooks (procs that must be called when anything open or
> closes),

Make a feature request, with some examples of why this is needed.
I've never felt the need for it. You can of course create commands
that overwrite the cmd-S or cmd-W functionality and do whatever you
want them to, for at least those cases of "closing".

> Access to the document:  position,

Can do with TextMate's dynamic environment variables: http://
macromates.com/textmate/manual/environment_variables

> selecting parts of it,

A macro using Find or other ways of selecting could do this,
depending on what you wanted to do.

> changing the insertion point position!!,

Again you can use a Macro, or use the txmt:// scheme in a Command, or
(last resort) use a command that replaces the entire document with a
snippet, placing $0 at the location you want the caret to go.

I would venture to guess that adding an embedded interpreter would
require a major overhaul of TM, and given that Allan hasn't done such
a thing already I would guess that he does not consider it important
enough.

TextMate is different than other editors, and I have often found that
it helps to learn to do things "the TM way", rather than fighting
with TM to make it see things your way. Just my opinion.

Haris