[TxMt] Hanging shell scripts (was Re: Serious bug with Python syntax highlighting)

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Tue Feb 6 23:12:07 UTC 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 5:08 PM, Rob Shearer wrote:

> I'd love to learn that there's a way to get this to work in all
> cases, but I've only found Ctrl+C to work when the script is
> directly invoked by a "Command". Things like backtick shell
> expansions in snippets don't appear to be listening...

Ah you are correct. I Are there really snippets in the current
bundles that have such problems?
Of course, you can always turn a snippet into a command (in fact I
almost always use commands instead of snippets.

In general my understanding was that backtick substitution in
snippets was to be used for very simple things, and if you really
need something bigger you would write a command for it instead. What
are these snippets you are having problems with?

> I hadn't realized there would be much controversy that this was an
> opportunity for improvement in TextMate's architecture. Is there a
> way to cancel any kind of shell command spawned by the application?

I don't think there currently is any way other than Ctrl+C, so I
don't know if there are other ways to stop spawning processes not
triggered by a command. I think Allan will be able to answer these
questions, when he gets back. I believe he is aware of such problems
though (search through the ticket system, and if something is not
there add it: http://macromates.com/ticket/ )

> Am I also the only one annoyed by the current Undo implementation?

No you are not the only one: http://macromates.com/ticket/show?
ticket_id=707D0F37

Haris