[TxMt] LaTeX formats

Juan juanfc at lcc.uma.es
Mon Feb 5 02:04:10 UTC 2007

El 05/02/2007, a las 2:16, Adam R. Maxwell escribió:

>> It's a good idea, though not one I am likely to use any time soon
>> personally. processor cycles are relatively cheap these days and
>> it's hard to break old habits. Plus, I change my preambles all the
>> time ;)
>
> There was a recent discussion on the Mac OS X TeX list about the
> fragility of this.  Here's another note from the past <http://
> www.tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2005-February/013634.html>.
>
> Also, the %&format in the first line of a file is generally
> disabled, unless you've manually set parse_first_line = t in
> texmf.cnf or pass -parse-first-line to pdftex.  This has been
> discussed numerous times on the Mac OS X TeX list.

	Ok

thanks a lot, I didn't know nothing about "-parse-first-line" as
option for pdftex, thanks!!

but I don't agree with the "dangerous and then never use" %
&formats... I can assure you that it is very time consuming and a
good way of organizing your docs.  I have several .fmts for my every
day work.  Of course you never must put \dump after \begin{document},
where all those auxiliary files will be created.  You usually want to
put \dump and make your format.fmt file before \begin{document} and
after those milliard of styles and options you need.