[TxMt] Re: Announce: Portable Game Notation bundle

Jacob Rus jacobolus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 01:07:19 UTC 2007

Andy Herbert <andy.herbert at ...> writes:
> For my own personal use I created the Portable Game Notation bundle,
> I hope that it may come in handy for a few people on this mailing
> list. I've included text from the Help command at the end of this
> message to give details on what the bundle actually does, but just in
> case you don't want to wade through all that text -

There have been various discussions every once in a while (on the IRC channel)
over the last year about puttting together a PGN language grammar and bundle, so
thanks for doing it!

I recommend calling the bundle simply "Chess", and then other chess game
description languages can be added to the same bundle, along with scripts for
converting between them, perhaps little programs for viewing the game in an html
preview window (aren't there some little javascript things which do that?),
maybe a way to export some type of image at the current position, etc.  Anyway,
"Chess" as the name for the bundle makes its purpose obvious to those who don't
have any idea what "PGN" or "Portable Game Notation" are.

Someone should stick this into the subversion repository; I would if my
PowerBook wasn't sitting in parts on the table next to me.

Again, thanks, and welcome!

-Jacob Rus