[TxMt] Importing Markdown posts to WordPress

Mark Eli Kalderon eli at markelikalderon.com
Wed Dec 26 14:48:34 UTC 2007

On Dec 26 2007, at 07:47, Dr. Drang wrote:

> I apologize for being off-topic, but I think there's more expertise on
> this list than I'll find elsewhere.
>
> I'm thinking about moving my blog from Movable Type 3.2 to WordPress.
> As a test, I've set up a local WP installation and imported my old
> posts--all of which are written in Markdown. They look awful,
> primarily because the blocks of source code in many of my posts are
> not being imported properly. Here is what I've done:
>
> 1. Exported the MT 3.2 posts using MT's builtin export command.
> 2. Installed WP and the PHP-MarkdownExtra plugin. Activated the
> plugin.
> 3. Imported into WP the text file that came out of the MT export
> process.
>
> The biggest problem seems to be that WP isn't recognizing the Markdown
> formatting of the exported posts. What should be enclosed by
> instead.
>
> Has anyone here experienced and solved this problem?

Hmm. I use WP with PHP-MarkdownExtra and have never experienced this
problem with source code. Is it just the blocks of source code or are
other aspects of Markdown failing as well? You might try posting the
query on the Markdown list. Michael Fortrin, the author of PHP-
MarkdownExtra, is an active participant of that list. <markdown-discuss at six.pairlist.net