[TxMt] Leopard borks Multimarkdown? -> an answer

John Laudun jlaudun at mac.com
Thu Dec 20 21:27:50 UTC 2007

I'm not going to call this solved, but I at least have a working
solution -- and analysis (follows). Here's my weak (very weak) unix-fu
understanding of the problem. The Preview function of the MMD bundle
has three simple lines:
 > cd "${TM_MULTIMARKDOWN_PATH:-~/Library/Application Support/
MultiMarkdown}"
 > cd bin
 > ./multimarkdown2XHTML.pl

After upgrading to Leopard, I was getting the following error report:

 > /bin/bash: line 2: cd: ~/Library/Application Support/MultiMarkdown:
No such file or directory
 > /bin/bash: line 3: cd: bin: No such file or directory
 > /bin/bash: line 4: ./multimarkdown2XHTML.pl: No such file or
directory

Because my unix-fu is so very, very (very) weak, it took me the
longest time to realize that the Bash shell wasn't seeing the
directory. I tested it by running

 > cd "~/Library/Application Support/MultiMarkdown"

No such file or directory

I tried changing it to the more usual:

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/MultiMarkdown

Presto! It worked. I changed the first line in the MMD Preview to the
above and Preview now works like it used to.

Now you can all stop chuckling at how slow I am, but my question is:
has anyone else encountered this problem? Surely I'm not the only MMD
adherent who has upgraded to Leopard? (I'm hoping the problem wasn't
me being goofy, but it could be.)

Any corrections to my analysis are welcome and will be regarded as
contributing to my education.

Please, no rulers on the knuckles. It's the holidays and all.

john