[TxMt] R daemon running 'inside' of TM + QUESTION on ram drive

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 18:43:01 UTC 2007

On Dec 20, 2007, at 1:04 PM, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:

> On 20.12.2007, at 17:28, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>> 	I just started using this and it look pretty sweet so far (though
>> admittedly I haven't gone far ;) ). The only problem I am seeing
>> so far is with plots, the first time they are generated. If the
>> plot window is closed, and I run something like "plot(1:10)",
>> sometimes I get:
>>
>> 326:331: execution error: System Events got an error:
>> NSReceiverEvaluationScriptError: 4 (1)
>> or sometimes
>> 331:336: execution error: System Events got an error:
>> NSReceiverEvaluationScriptError: 4 (1)
> Did you open a quartz device or x11?
> The error message tends to be sent from quartz. Did you installed
> CarbonEL package?
> Anyway I will try to reproduce it.

No I did not open a quartz device by myself, so far I got this error
from three different places:
1. When for the first time a quartz window opened as a consequence of
a call to "plot", and a couple more times later
2. When A window opened by a call to a lattice command, namely
histrogram. Strangely enough, once that happened once, from that
point on neither plot or histogram gave me another error
3. Whenever I try to open a help page, unless that item is already
open in help (help pages open within R.app for me).

>> I'll let you know if I find any other problems, I tend to use R
>> quite a lot these days.
>>
> I hope that I can post the latest version tomorrow, so you have
> something better to test ;)
>
>> The only thing that would worry me about the RAM drive idea is the
>> question of handling large data sets. Probably I am
>> misunderstanding how it works, but what happens if you load some
>> data that would take more than 80M?
> No. There is no limit for data size. The only purpose of the ram
> drive is store the console output coming from R, in other words
> what you writing and printing out while a session within the console.

I see. Then it's probably a good idea, though 80M might be too much,
I dunno. Why did you set it to 80M? Perhaps the size can be
customizable as well.

Btw, a thing to consider adding is to make it so that, when on the
last line, using up/down arrows moves you among the history items,
like the R.app GUI does. This action has been built too much into my
muscle memory by now.

Btw, I had some problems killing the daemon. I tried kill+tab, which
resulted in the message "Rdaemon is not running!". Then trying start
+tab resulted in "Rdaemon is already running". Indeed the R daemon
seems to work throughout this process. ps gives me:

charilaos-skiadas-ibook-g4-3:~/Desktop/latexdiff haris$ ps -auxw|grep
Rdaemon
haris     7999   0.2 -0.0    28120    932  ??  S    11:19AM   0:12.59
ruby /Users/haris/Rdaemon/daemon/Rdaemon.rb
haris     8001   0.0 -0.0    27808    700  p2  Ss+  11:19AM   0:00.00
sh -c R --encoding=UTF-8 --TMRdaemon 2> /Users/haris/Rdaemon/r

Btw, when the daemon first started, it started X11. Is that
necessary? I usually don't have X11 running.

> --Hans

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College