[TxMt] R daemon running 'inside' of TM + QUESTION on ram drive

Jon Clayden jon.clayden at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 14:10:40 UTC 2007

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the update. You're improving the daemon quite a lot faster
than I can try things out, but I've found a few issues:

- You seem to be using ⌘⎋ for autocompletion, but that conflicts with Front Row
- Trying to access help by typing '?print' or 'help("print")', for
example, blocks TM waiting for a (very CPU-intensive) perl process
that appears to run indefinitely - I know I should be using ⌃H but it
would be good if 'help' at least failed cleanly
- browser() doesn't seem to work properly, so debug(function) is unusable

With regard to the RAM drive, my feeling is that it's best not to
block out a chunk of memory like that, particularly since older
systems on which autocomplete will be slower are also likely to be the
ones that can least spare the RAM. Personally, I find it quick enough
as it is.

HTH,
Jon