[TxMt] Plans to localize TextMate

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Mon Dec 3 13:14:00 UTC 2007

On 3 Dec 2007, at 09:17, Oktay Acikalin wrote:

> [...]
> allan, do you have any statistics about how relevant a country is?
> for example how many germans visit your site and/or have bought a
> license? if it's relevant, a friend of mine or i could do some
> translations..

Based on http://update.omnigroup.com/¹ 72% of users run their system
in English, and the next 17% are using French, German, and Japanese
(so ~90% of users are spread out over only 4 different languages).

Most French and German computer users (who use TextMate for
programming) likely have no problem using an English interface. I do
see a noticeable amount of sales from JP (despite TextMate’s poor
support for CJK), so that would likely be the most relevant
translation -- but with German and French translations being relevant
on “number of users of the language”.

¹ I expect my users to be slightly more technical², and at least here
in Scandinavia, technical users tend to favor an English interface.

² For example OmniGroup show 21% of their users are on Leopard. My
numbers show 50% of users has upgraded.