[TxMt] Poll. generic code completion plug-in

Dirk van Oosterbosch, IR labs labs at ixopusada.com
Thu Aug 23 10:04:18 UTC 2007

On 17-aug-2007, at 19:00, Joachim Mårtensson wrote:

> Hello, everyone.
> I have written a more Xcode like completion extension for
> tm_dialog. My
> guess is that this is of interrest to more people than me. The code
> has
> not been commited yet, but I have made a screencast to show of some
> of the
> functionallity.
> [ http://mail.mac.se/joachimm/TextMateCodeCompletionEnhancements.mov ]
> , right now I am looking for suggestions for the programmatic and user
> interface.

Wow, this looks so promising. I can't wait to start using it.

Without mimicking Xcode too much, I think the user interface could
improve.
My suggestions:
a. the bounding box of the dialog popup should be as small as
possible, i.e. decrease the height of the window as the number of
completions shrink.
b. the dialog popup window could be slightly transparent and would be
nice if it would fade in.
c. the arguments to a function (the parts of the snippet that should
be filled in by the user) could have a different style (italic?) or
colour (greyish?) from the non-volatile parts of the function (the
function name, the parentheses, etc)
d. the addition of a little icon in front of the completion,
indicating whether it is a C function, a objective-C method, a
constant, a class, etc. (I know this sooo xcode, but I think it's
very useful).

Finally: when does this completion window pop up? When you stop
typing for a 0.8 seconds (and if *has* available completions)? Or do
you have to invoke it with a special key combo?
I would very much like the former one, combined with the
disappearance of the completion window if no key is pressed in the
following 2 seconds. (plus a way to customize these time preferences
or disable the automatic popup behavior).

best regards
dirk

Dirk van Oosterbosch
de Wittenstraat 225