[TxMt] Implementation of incremental partial ordered file list feature

Ilya Sterin sterini at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 20:33:43 UTC 2007

Allan, team, I was wondering if anyone can help me.  I'm intrigued by
the implementation of textmate's incremental search feature for file.
What intrigues me most is the fact that it's partially ordered, though
it works on any set of characters that appear within a name.

Most incremental searches are implemented using trie structures, but
I'm not seeing how that can be used to implement partial ordered
searches, or I don't believe that data structure is the most efficient
way of doing so.

I'm wondering if someone can share a bit info on how this is
implemented.  Are you using some known tree algorithm/structure, or is
the search performed by regex?  I'm hoping the earlier and that you
can point me in the right direction.

I really appreciate any information.

Thanks.

Ilya Sterin