[TxMt] Beware of creating files with names that differ only in case!

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 19:22:48 UTC 2007

On Aug 16, 2007, at 2:51 PM, Gordon Tillman wrote:

> Chris I believe this is the fault of the Mac OS.  For historical
> reasons I think the operating system will by default treat files
> that differ only in case as the same.

The problem, in my opinion, is not that there aren't two files, but
that TextMate *shows* you two files. I.e. you end up having two tabs
in the TextMate project, one for a file named junk and one for the
file named Junk. The contents of those two document windows are
always the same, but the documents seem distinct in many ways. For
instance, if you edit one of the files, it is only that file that is
marked as "dirty", and not the other one as well.

So the point is that TextMate should not be allowing you to "create"
that new file.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College