[TxMt] Re: POLL: HTML CodeSense?

Paul Collins pauldcollins at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 11:06:44 UTC 2007

Thanks for your reply Jacob. I guess my list was just nice to have
type things that would make it easier for people to migrate to
Textmate from other HTML coding apps. There are a lot of great things
about Textmate, just a few things that need a bit of getting used to.

> > -  Can it auto close the tag when you hit the closing bracket? It
> > would need to be sophisticated enough to know when NOT to close a tag,
> > say if you had an IMG for instance.
>
> As mentioned, ⌃> does this now.
>
> > - Can we make the tab key indent text, instead of ALT + TAB? Might not
> > be possible, just worth a check!
>
> What's the benefit?  Just use ⌘] or ⌥⇥

Just on those two, I think most HTML editors use the shortcuts
mentioned above and probably the most painful thing when you migrate
is trying to get used to a whole new group of shortcuts. I think  the
⌃> works better in some ways for closing tags as you don't have to tab
back in to add an ID or class to a DIV you just closed. The ⌘] or ⌥⇥
shortcut is a pain for indenting though and I still hit TAB everytime
and delete my text. These are only small things, but when using on a
day to day basis can be annoying.

> > - I keep whinging about code coloring and I know it's not the end of
> > the world, but the ability to target specific tags in your color theme
> > would be great!
>
> Yes, this will be possible as soon as someone makes a new HTML grammar.
>   Feel free to do it if you have the time.  Otherwise Infin has been
> saying he'd do it sometime for the last year…

I did try and target specific tags in the theme, I played around with
it for a while, but couldn't get anywhere. If I knew how to do it, I
would do it myself!

> > - Special Characters, is there any way to go through the document and
> > replace or find them all automatically? That would be handy.
>
> Yes, sure.  What exactly do you want it to do?

This would be some kind of button/command where you could click the
button and it would go through all text and replace the invalid
characters with character entities (according to the doctype). So for
eg; in an XTHML doc it would replace a £ with £ It may be worth
having a sub-function where it goes through them one by one, like a
spell checker, in case there are conflicts.

> > - It would be nice to be able to target certain types of files in the
> > search and replace.
>
> This won't really be possible until TM 2.0, AFAIK.

I am really looking forward to TM 2.0, I find the search and replace a
bit limiting at the minute. In fact, I still haven't found one that
compares to Homesite.

Thanks again for all your help.
Paul