Distributed model for bundles (was: [TxMt] Bundle and language help)

Andre Behrens mrandre+textmate at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:54:47 UTC 2007

I vote for promoting "get bundle" to a normal part of the application,
a major and clearly marked feature, not an adjunct plugin.

Getting bundles of functionality is not merely a "nice thing" in
TextMate. It is the very essence of TextMate. The process of
retrieving and managing bundles should be an absolute first class
experience. I'd say my ideal would be something like Quicksilver's
plugin system.

Short of actually editing text, managing plugins is the most important
thing I do with the app.

I think *distribution* should have absolutely nothing to do with
version control, under the assumption that whatever system is
selected, it presumes the user will have it present on their system.

Of course, this is all moot re: how developers manage code for their
plugins. Having considered this situation at my own company, the
benefits of distributed source control are transparently obvious to
me.

But that should be orthogonal to distribution to users. I really hate
the whole "let's just do an svn checkout to get stuff" concept, and I
understand perfectly how to do it.

-andre