[TxMt] Typeset & View branch merged back to the mainline

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Aug 5 17:40:31 UTC 2007

On Aug 5, 2007, at 10:17, Robin Houston wrote:

> On 05/08/07, Mark Eli Kalderon <eli at markelikalderon.com> wrote:
>> Skim uses some kind of heuristic to figure out when latex is
>> done typesetting. Sometimes this goes wrong, if it takes a long time,
>> and so some of your changes may not be displayed.

This should not go wrong; if you can demonstrate a bug in Skim, please
report it.

If Skim is checking for modifications, it uses a kqueue (if the
filesystem supports that), or a timer.  Since pdflatex truncates the
original file and then writes to it, we get many change notifications
during that process, but don't attempt to reload the file until it has
a valid PDF trailer.

A problem with latexmk is that you can have a valid PDF multiple times
during the typeset process, so you end up loading it a couple of
times.  For some PDF files, this can be pretty slow.

> Recent versions of Skim can be explicitly instructed to reload the
> PDF, using Applescript (tell application "Skim" to revert document
> "foo.pdf"). So it's no longer necessary to rely on this mechanism.

This is a more sensible approach to take in any case.  Only the
pdflatex caller has any concrete idea of when the pdflatex process(es)
finish and whether they succeeded.

--
Adam