[TxMt] tm_dialog: call a other tm_dialog from tm_dialog without closing the first

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Fri Aug 3 11:32:39 UTC 2007

Hi,

I use tm_dialog dozens of times to simplify matters, and to save time ;)
But sometimes I would need a bit more (like the accessory views ;) ):

I wonder if it would be possible to write a nib which contains a
button, e.g. 'Browse', and if I press this button it opens an other
nib (or in that case a file select dialog). The returned value from
the called nib (file select) will set a value in the first nib?

An other approach:

Press a button in tm_dialog. In tm_dialog there is a buttonListener.
If that button is set to invoke a shell script then do it. This shell
script (an other tm_dialog or what ever) could write something to a
file and its content could update my actual tm_dialog.

Would this be too complicated or even impossible to implement?

Up to now I did such things like

PLIST1 = "..."
PLIST2 = "..."
pressedButton = Browse
while pressedButton == Browse
	pressedButton = $DIALOG -p PLIST1 a_nib
	if pressedButton == Browse
		PLIST2 = $DIALOG -p PLIST2 a_other_nib
		PLIST1 = modify with values of PLIST2
end while

Application examples could be:
- a Browse button to open a separate File Select Dialog
- a Edit button to edit preferences for the tm_dialog
- a Install button to install stuff which is missing without leaving
tm_dialog
- a Refresh button to refresh values in the tm_dialog

Or is there an other way to do something like that?

Do I carry things too far?  ;)

Cheers,

Hans