[TxMt] Re: "Save As" Renaming Bug - any hope for the future?

Jacob Rus jacobolus at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 16:52:37 UTC 2007

Chip Cullen wrote:
> As for Textmate 2.0 - I've done more looking through the mailing list,
> and it seems like other people are having different issues with the
> project drawer. I can't wait to see what Allan comes up with - I hope
> it makes everything much easier. There isn't even a rough ETA, is
> there?

I believe the rough ETA is "sometime after Leopard", which I would guess
means sometime between October and December.

> On a totally separate digression - is there any reason there isn't a
> Textmate forum/bulletin board? Using a mailing list to look for
> support/answers just seems to involve about five extra steps for the
> end user. If Allan likes having everything in digest form, I guess
> that's his prerogative.

Actually, it is much easier to search a mailing list for answers than a
forum,[^1] the messages are arranged in nice nested threads by the mail
headers, it is very easy to munge the messages into any type of format
desired, and there is no requirement to use a badly designed forum web
interface to do anything with the content.  Web forums are by far the
worst online discussion medium (bbcode is one of the stupidest formats
ever invented), and it's a tragedy that so many projects cripple their
discussions by putting them in a forum. ;)

[^1]: If you like, you can read the mailing list in a forum-like
interface at [gmane](http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.editors.textmate.devel),
or you can use gmane's nntp gateway to browse the list with your
favorite usenet client.  I use Thunderbird for this and it works quite well.

-Jacob