[TxMt] bundle temporary directory

Jay Soffian jay-txmt at soffian.org
Thu Apr 26 15:41:33 UTC 2007

It occurred to me that quite a few bundles (okay, at least one) make
use of /tmp.

I've been using /tmp/<uid>/ as several other applications under OS X
seem to use this directory, though I just realized it doesn't always
exist so I'm not sure which app creates it in the first place. I note
some applications also use /tmp/$USER/... Of course, there's always
just using /tmp directly.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it might be useful for:

a) All TextMate bundles to use a standard per-bundle temporary location.
b) For TextMate to create the top of this location at start and clean
it up at quit.

For example, TextMate might set TM_TMPDIR to /tmp/textmate-$USER/
<bundle_name> for each bundle, and create /tmp/textmate-$USER at
startup and remove (recursively) /tmp/textmate-$USER at quit.

Mostly thinking out loud.

Useful or not worth the trouble?

j.