[TxMt] Re: error messages

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Wed Apr 25 15:59:48 UTC 2007

On 4/24/07 5:12 PM, in article
fa09ca6d0704241712g55bfb4adg5db6122777dec393 at mail.gmail.com, "charles
snyder" <clsnyder at gmail.com> wrote:

> This also didn't change anything

As a Mac user, I can only say that (1) you shouldn't be having these
problems, and (2) since it all started when you installed a newer version of
Ruby using DarwinPorts, something that you did with DarwinPorts has hosed
something. You have said there is a file 'ruby' in /usr/local/bin/ and a
file 'ruby' in /usr/bin/, but you do not say anything about /opt/local/bin.
You don't seem to know which Ruby you want to use or should be using. Your
path:

/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/loca
l/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

...would use the one in /usr/local/bin first (as "which" tells you), but is
that the right one? The fact that you installed ruby 1.8.5 via darwin ports,
but but ruby -v gives 1.8.2, suggests that the newly installed ruby is not
being used. Thus you seem to have hopelessly confused yourself.

Your easiest solution may be to reinstall the system. (People scoff when you
say this, but it only takes an hour or two, and it gets you back to a clean
system easily.) Then the next time you want to install a newer version of
Ruby, don't do it that way. I have nothing personal against DarwinPorts, but
but I've never used it and it sure doesn't seem to have done you any good.
Know what you're doing, and keep an orderly control over what's where and
what your path is. I have ruby 1.8.5 at /usr/local/bin/ruby and it "just
works", both at the command line and in TM.

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!