[TxMt] Automated tests for language grammar rules?

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed Apr 18 17:57:25 UTC 2007

On 18. Apr 2007, at 19:08, Daryl Spitzer wrote:

>> Oops.  I got caught submitting a change without testing it.  I don't
>> seem capable of never repeating that mistake--that's where automated
>> tests come in handy.
> Is there any facility for creating automated tests for language
> grammar rules?
> [...]

Currently not, but in 2.0 my plan is to have “mate” (or more likely a
dedicated shell command) expose a bit of TM functionality to the
shell, this includes parsing a file and outputting the XML (as one
can currently get as input from a TM command).

This will make it fairly simple to write scripts (or a framework) for
testing grammars, something we definitely do want to have :)

One little nicety is that this can also perform benchmarks on
grammars, reporting which rules the parser spends the most time with
(making it easier to find problematic rules).