[TxMt] "Save As..." problem

Steve King steve at narbat.com
Mon Apr 16 13:49:48 UTC 2007

I don't know if this is a problem with TextMate or a "feature" of OSX, but
I have a problem with the "Save As..." dialog.  I want to be able to type
a full path into the Save As: filename box.  So if I want to save the file
as "foo.txt" in the "/tmp" directory, I just want to type "/tmp/foo.txt"
rather than mousing around the dialog to navigate to the "/tmp" directory,
then entering the name "foo.txt".

(And, as luck would have it, MacOS "helpfully" hides the "/tmp" directory
from that dialog, so I can't even navigate there!  But that's beside
the point; I could fix that with a symlink.)

As it is, if I type "/tmp/foo.txt" into the dialog I get a file in my home
directory named ":tmp:foo.txt".  The translation of slashes to colons
makes me think this is probably a mis-feature of OSX rather than TextMate,
but even so, is there a way around it?

--
Steve King, <steve at narbat.com>