[TxMt] Unwanted newline after Replace Selected Text

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Thu Apr 12 14:02:32 UTC 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 9:56 AM, Robin Houston wrote:

> On 4/12/07, Tim Mansour <tim at neologica.com.au> wrote:
> I'm not sure what I can change in the above to ensure there's no
> newline returned to TextMate?
>
> Ugly, but ought to work:
>
> echo -n "$(osascript <<-APPLESCRIPT
> set title to "vanishing"
> if title is not "" then
>        tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced"
>                if not (exists window "HTitles") then open alias
> "HD:HTitles.fp7"
>                set cell "_Search" of layout "Titles" to title
>                do script "Search For Title"
>                set href to cell "_Search" of layout "Titles"
>                set img to cell "_thumb" of layout "Titles"
>        end tell
>        if href is not "" then set title to img & href
> end if
> return title
> APPLESCRIPT)"

Hm, somehow my reply only went to Tim, probably because he had added
me to the To field. Anyway, here's what I said, which is I think why
Robin's method won't quite work:

	Ah the problem is that osascript adds this newline, and there is no
way to tell it not to. You'll have to rewrite things a bit so that
you capture what osascript returns in a variable, and then trim the
newline, before printing it via "echo -n".

So you need to also trim the newline osascript added, in addition to
telling echo not to print one of its own. At least I think so.

> Robin

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College