[TxMt] Overloading the tab key

Steve King steve at narbat.com
Fri Apr 6 13:31:22 UTC 2007

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> I actually think what you want is to leave the tab key alone, and the same
> for the other keys, and to just write a trivial 3 line script to do the kind
> of change you need to the entire document whenever it's run. (I think someone
> already suggested something similar). Then, assuming you use some sort of svn
> type system, you should be able to have a pre/post-commit hook or whatnot
> that runs this script.

That's actually not such a good idea, at least not around here.  I'm not
the only one who works on this code, and it's considered somewhat
anti-social to make formatting changes to parts of a module you're not
actually changing. Even just changing whitespace messes with others when
they do a 'diff' to see what changes were made.  In an ideal world, the
rest of the code would already be formatted appropriately so such a script
wouldn't actually change anything other than lines I worked on.  In an
ideal world. :-)

I can write such a script and assign a key to apply it to just a selection
or block, though.  I think that's what'll work best for me.

BTW, in 2.0 I really, *really* hope the API will expose a way for scripts
to execute arbitrary editor commands.  It makes weird scripting requests
like this a lot easier.

--
Steve King, <steve at narbat.com>