[TxMt] ActionScript Bundle (MTASC)

thiago demello bueno thiago at madeofpeople.org
Fri Apr 6 01:22:37 UTC 2007

Hi there....
I'm new to the list, but have been keeping tabs on the progress of
the AS bundle
(and sometimes using either get bundle or svn, i dont get the changes
your blog posts mention... but thats another point)

I agree with Aaron regarding -main being optional... for a few reasons:
a. main sort of binds us to either ignoring some of the benefits of
library based movie clips or using _root

b. some of my clients, are small studios,  designers and other small
teams.... some of them have decent actionscript skills some have
people on staff that can really rock it.... but forcing a swfmill -
mtasc - textmate workflow would simply not work or be more than a
little unjust...

I use textmate/mtasc/swfmill to improve MY life and workflow, it
saves me time, the strictness helps me debug and it doesnt crash, i
hate the flash IDE.
But months down the line or right before launch on a project I've
long since moved on from i hate clients calling me for small pitlling
changes pulling me off other projects to do small maintanence tasks,
or helpt them tweak a now completed project by nudging things here
and there when they or there staff are more than capable. I
externalize all content, but still things continually come up that
normally any number of them would be able to do themselves via the IDE.

Adding a call to my controller class in the flash, populating the
library and then compiling it once and never touching the IDE again,
works well for me, (i customized my rb file to not call main) this
allows my clients to then open the fla if they need to down the road,
make their changes and compiling with the ide where they feel more
comfortable. But as soon as i share it with someone who has a similar
workflow, and the main call loops ad-infinitum.

Ok, so i rant a bit, but sharing across workflows is enough reason to
make -main optional....  no?

Also is there any way to avoid needing to list our classes in the
main class? It feels like including code to force compile inside the
application really mucks things up in regards to separating build
instructions from the code itself... i guess thats an MTASC issue
more than an actionscript bundle issue, i tried using -pack to work
around this but then I got class redefinition errors on the main
class....

cheers,