[TxMt] Re: Getting out of incremental search

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 5 20:13:19 UTC 2007

Dave Carrigan wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2007, at 2:07 AM, Jacob Rus wrote:
>> In any Cocoa text view, ⌃A works just fine (including in TextMate).
>
> ...As it happens, my finger memory seems to have ctrl-a ingrained for
> ending isearch, although I suspect that at times I would also use (or
> try to use) ctrl-b, f, e, p, and n or maybe even an actual arrow key.

Ah, okay.  ⌃A just seemed like an odd shortcut to use to exit an
incremental search.

> Speaking for myself, I rarely want to edit an isearch field. Again,
> that's probably due to 15 years of emacs habits where isearch fields
> couldn't be edited even if I had wanted to. But the upshot is that I
> really miss the ability to end the isearch by moving the cursor.

Yeah, fair enough.  I think I probably on balance agree with you.  It's
nice to be able to edit an incremental search every once in a while, but
much more commonly no editing is required, and when it is, ⌘F is not
usually much bother.

-Jacob