[TxMt] Re: Getting out of incremental search

Dave Carrigan dave at rudedog.org
Thu Apr 5 13:26:49 UTC 2007

On Apr 5, 2007, at 2:07 AM, Jacob Rus wrote:

> Dave Carrigan wrote:
>>>
>>> How? Like up/down? Generally up/down in text fields move to the
>>> start/end of the string.
>> I would personally like ctrl-a, mostly because that's how I've
>> been doing it in emacs for the last 15 years.
>
> You'll really have to clarify what you mean.  We're talking about
> ways to get out of the incremental search field.

Yes I know - the subject of this thread was a big clue.

> In any Cocoa text view, ⌃a works just fine (including in TextMate).

I am also aware that emacs keybindings work in Cocoa text fields.

The difference between TextMate and Emacs is that in TextMate, the
cursor movement keys move the cursor around inside of the isearch
field. In emacs, cursor movement keys end the isearch and then move
the cursor in the document.

As it happens, my finger memory seems to have ctrl-a ingrained for
ending isearch, although I suspect that at times I would also use (or
try to use) ctrl-b, f, e, p, and n or maybe even an actual arrow key.

Speaking for myself, I rarely want to edit an isearch field. Again,
that's probably due to 15 years of emacs habits where isearch fields
couldn't be edited even if I had wanted to. But the upshot is that I
really miss the ability to end the isearch by moving the cursor.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA