[TxMt] Re: Convert old HTML to XHTML...

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 4 04:40:07 UTC 2007

Methnen (AKA Jamie) wrote:
> My favorite of the initial responses to the hixie article:
> http://h3h.net/2005/12/xhtml-harmful-to-feelings/

Incidentally, I find it incredibly amusing that that article says:

>> <script> and <style> elements in XHTML sent as text/html have
>> to be escaped using ridiculously complicated strings.
>
> This is not an issue if one includes scripts and stylesheets as
> external resources from their own files. This helps caching,
> organization, and modularization of code and should be used in
> all production environments. In the very rare case that scripts
> or styles need to included on the XHTML page itself, two extra
> lines delimiting CDATA blocks are not “harmful” to any degree.
> Not Harmful

When its own html has:

     <script type="text/javascript">
     <!--
     var ajax;
     [...]

Whoops!  I suppose his blog doesn't count as a "production environment",
or perhaps that this particular "rare case" just slipped by the easy
extra-two-lines addition.

-Jacob