[TxMt] Re: Convert old HTML to XHTML...

Methnen (AKA Jamie) jamie at methnen.com
Tue Apr 3 01:38:16 UTC 2007

On Apr 2, 2007, at 4:59 PM, Jacob Rus wrote:
> What's the use case?  Please read [this](http://www.hixie.ch/
> advocacy/xhtml) before you decide to use XHTML.  XHTML is almost
> always the wrong choice of format.

I disagree with the hixie article for so many reasons.  Its a
preference.  And it's not one that, at this point, really makes a
whole lot of difference either way.;

My favorite of the initial responses to the hixie article:
http://h3h.net/2005/12/xhtml-harmful-to-feelings/

And just for fun:
http://meyerweb.com/eric/comment/chech.html?dupe=1

I have no desire for an argument but felt the need to answer that
last email as I'm tired and probably a bit grumpy.  In fact I don't
consider the issue nearly big enough for the importance Hickson
places on it.  Let alone important enough to argue over for any
extended length of time.

HTML itself is in such a state of flux right now (and hasn't it
always been?) that when we worry about the kinds of things metioned
in the hixie article I think we are getting a little silly.

Writing using XHTML encourages well formed code.  I like that about
it.  I like that it makes me check to make sure I haven't done
anything silly.  If I end up serving that code as text/html until the
end of the site's life I could really care less as long as it works
reliably (and it does).  By the time I might want to serve my pages
as xml hopefully the w3c and the whatwg will have worked out their
differences and given us something else.  You do have your content in
a database separate from both your markup structure and display code
right?  But even if they do work out something better we still have
to rely on the browser devs to implement it correctly which they
never seem to be capable of despite their sometimes best intentions.

Again I apologize if I'm upsetting anyone.  It wasn't my intention.

Jamie

Email: jamie at methnen.com
Homepage: http://www.methnen.com

"And I always go to pieces.  And I have it in my mind, that the sky is
tall and heavy, when I could be brave."
-Karen Peris (Brave)

"I want to find where the maid in the street is pouring her wine,
I heard she takes you in and gives you the words you need said.
If you'll be her brother, she'll kiss you like a sister.
She'll even be your mother, for now."
-Matt Slocum (Sister, Mother)

"And we are drowned."
-Annie Dillard (Tickets For a Prayer Wheel)