Local test environment (was: [TxMt] Re: SVN?)

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Mon Apr 2 17:18:43 UTC 2007

On Apr 2, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) wrote:

> There is nothing wrong with having an environment that requires
> uploading files to a dev/test server before you can test them.
> Other than being really tedious and annoying that is ;)

Yes, and this seemingly immortal thread has brought the annoyance
back to the front of my mind and forced me to think about it further.

I just had an idea, but it seems too obvious, so I wonder if it's
been tried already or if I'm overlooking something.

   1. Create a local copy of things
   2. Create a project from the local copy
   3. Define a project-specific variable like `WHERE_I_CAME_FROM`
that contains
      a remote path that `rsync` understands, like
      `webserver.foo.com:/blah/htdocs`
   4. Create a command that runs

         rsync $TM_PROJECT_DIRECTORY $WHERE_I_CAME_FROM

And of course you'd want to add some options to `rsync` and perhaps
some additional smarts, but could this work? I fully intend to
experiment with this, so if no one chimes in with "been there, done
that", I'll share my results.

---
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>
I didn't "switch" to Apple... my OS did.