[TxMt] Saving generated HTML from Markdown

Mark Eli Kalderon eli at markelikalderon.com
Mon Apr 2 02:13:07 UTC 2007

On Apr 2 2007, at 01:39, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2007, at 6:28 PM, Michael Williams wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 08:21:03AM -0400, Lists In at IDC wrote:
>>> 3) You have to write a document with relatively light formatting
>>> to be
>>> e-mailed and/or posted to a one-off web page during fast and furious
>>> specification development.  So, it needs to be pasted into an e-mail
>>> and/or "saved as" a simple file-based web page.  You need to keep
>>> the
>>> Markdown version as that will form the basis of the final version
>>> but
>>> it's much too cumbersome to edit and format in Word at this stage
>>> (or
>>> any stage, but that's another discussion).
>>
>> This is my own normal use of Markdown, and I like the idea of adding
>> "Save HTML to new location" to the default Markdown bundle. In this
>> usage case, the HTML is like the PDF compiled from LaTeX source;
>> the PDF
>> is for public consumption, but you need the LaTeX to continue to
>> change
>> the document.
>
> There is a difference however, in that the LaTeX source has all the
> information determining how the resulting PDF should look like. On
> the other hand, Markdown doesn't contain any CSS information. So if
> we only care about the HTML, without any css specification, then
> this can be done of course, but I am not sure if it really is that
> useful.

Well, if you use MultiMarkdown, you can use a metadata field to
specify a CSS file. That would be a lot like inputting a standard
preamble into a LaTeX file...

Anyway, part of the point of things like MultiMarkdown and pandoc[1]
is to use and extended Markdown syntax to generate a variety of
output---in which case the Markdwon file is functioning as a source
file.

Best, Mark

[1] http://sophos.berkeley.edu/macfarlane/pandoc/