[TxMt] UTF-8 BOM problem

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Thu Sep 28 11:44:20 UTC 2006

> I have the following problem:
>
> I received a plain text file utf-8 encoded written on a Windows PC.
> I could open this file and I could edit this file perfectly.
> After my modifications I saved this as utf-8 with LF. OK.
>
> Then I tried to import the content of that file in a database. This
> didn't work, because the database couldn't parse the first line.
> Then I opened that file in a HexEditor and I saw that the first
> line begins with EF BB BF. After looking at this I remembered that
> these bytes are the BOM (Byte Order Marker) for utf-8 and Windows
> PC's make often use of it to save utf-8 text files.
>
> My problem is now that I couldn't find a way to save my text file
> as utf-8 without BOM.
>
> I had to use jEdit for that, because in jEdit you can select the
> encoding utf-8 or utf-8y (meaning with BOM).
>

> Is there any chance to implement this in TextMate? Or, may be
> better, that TextMate saves all utf-8 files without BOM, because I
> think this marker is irrelevant within utf-8. It only makes sense
> in utf-16/32.

By myself, I found at least an option.

I open an UTF-8(BOM) file, select all, copy it, open a new document,
paste it, and save it under UTF-8. After doing this my new document
has no BOM at all.

But I don't know, if it would be too difficult to implement this
within TextMate. I could image that some users doesn't know the issue
of BOM.

Best,

Hans