[TxMt] Split the project drawer?

David Rogers al.the.x at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 21:04:12 UTC 2006

Mark,

Thanks for the advice. I rarely use the drawer buttons due to the
Ctrl-Click functionality; everything is duplicated in the pop-up menu
anyway. The problem I've been experiencing originated from trying to
create a group from files and folders within a top-level folder
reference, which probably conflicts with the 'Groups can't exist in
Folder Reference' rule; Textmate doesn't make the logical jump to
create a top-level group.

This does represent desirable behavior, however, as it would be
conducive to one's workflow to have both folder refs _and_ groups, just
not intermixed. I'm not sure how Allan has implemented the data
structures for Groups and Folders in the Project Drawer, but they're
probably the same base type and TM does a quick type/class check to
ensure Groups don't get mixed in with Folders. While I can definitely
see the use of both, I haven't quite gotten a grip on how Groups are
created, I think.

I can't find anything in the GUI that allows me to create an empty
Group, although the GUI supports creating an empty Folder. Of course,
this has to do with the tie that Folders have to the filesystem, but
the ability to create an empty top-level Group and populate it with
file references would be nice. Then again, I haven't really found a way
to duplicate file / folder references, either, once the groups have
been established. That stuff might just still be on the drawing board.

David