[TxMt] TODO bundle running slow

Dave Baldwin dave.baldwin at 3dlabs.com
Thu Sep 14 07:57:31 UTC 2006

On 13 Sep 2006, at 19:03, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 13/9/2006, at 18:43, Dave Baldwin wrote:
>
>> Tried to use the TODO bundle and it was taking an age (10s of
>> seconds) to give me a result.  Some puts in the command code
>> showed it was parsing all the text files in the directory and sub
>> directories that the project file resided in.  These files are a
>> super set of the ones in the project draw - I only expected it to
>> search in the project specific files.  As a contrast using the
>> 'find in project command' to search for TODO returns instantly.
>
> The TODO command is a bundle command, there is currently no simple
> way these can know exactly which files are in the project, so they
> treat it as the project is all the files in the project folder.

This seems like a major limitation to me as anyone who has set up a
project with selected files has made a specific choice about what
files are in the project and what files are not.  Project related
command should respect this - I think internal commands (search in
project) do and so should external (bundle) command where
appropriate.  TM clearly knows what files are in the project so it
would seem trivial to set an environmental variable to the file list
that a command could then reference.  Setting environmental variables
with the current word or selection would seem a much harder thing to do.

Great product and belated congrats on the award.

Dave.