[TxMt] Regarding the LaTeX bundle

Jenny Harrison profharrison at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 21:26:14 UTC 2006

Dear Harris, Allan, Max, Dan, ...

This weekend's thread is very helpful.  Clearly, a lot of thought has
gone into it.  I wanted to thank Haris for introducing me to the Latex
Bundle with his excellent screencasts, and, of course, Allan for
making it all possible.

I have an idea of a fix for folding of sections.  Whenever I talk a
Latex user into trying out TextMate the first response is invariably,
"Folding on its own is worth its weight in gold."   Yet folding of
sections does not work well and I have quit trying to do it. The
problem is this: if I create a custom fold for a selection, the fold
marks usually vanish when I return to it and edit.   I then have to
reselect the  material which is counter to the TextMate philosophy.

Not many people know this, but Latex permits \begin{section} and
\end{section}, instead of \section.  If we could type sec, followed by
tab, with the following outcome:

\begin{section}{section name}\label{sec:section_name}
\end{section}

instead of the current

\section{section name}\label{sec:section_name}

then all would be well. The tabs would be correctly placed and folding
would work as it should for sections.  I realize this is nonstandard
and journals might not like it, but a quick search and replace could
restore this to the standard. Of course, the same goes for chapter,
paragraph, subsection, subsubsection, all of which I use.

Jenny