[TxMt] Re: odd spacing with "puts" in RubyMate

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Tue Oct 31 17:34:45 UTC 2006

On 10/29/06 11:18 AM, in article
27669F71-FB38-4EB4-B9A0-4A5CB4DECB86 at macromates.com, "Allan Odgaard"
<throw-away-1 at macromates.com> wrote:

> On 29. Oct 2006, at 19:38, Matt Neuburg wrote:
>
>> Okay, I tried doing a Software Update and got a mild mess. Now when
>> I run a
>> Ruby script, the RubyMate window ain't pretty any more, and it
>> starts with
>> this scolding:
>>
>> bash: line 1: selected_theme: command not found cat:
>> /Users/mattneub/Library/Application
>> Support/TextMate/Support/css/webpreview.css: No such file or directory
>
> That would indicate a checkout of the Support folder which is newer
> than what¹s included with r1305.

That doesn't make much sense to me, since at the time I had no Support
folder at all. (Nor any Application Support/TextMate folder, for that
matter.) All I did was to download the Cutting Edge build of TextMate using
Software Update, just as you told me to do.

So I'm simply saying that for the naïve user, merely doing a software update
may not work. It didn't for me.

>> * It would be helpful if adequate version information (the build
>> number)
>> were displayed in the Finder.
>>
>> * It would be helpful if a build with a later build number had a later
>> modification date; my whole backup / sync system depends upon
>> modification
>> dates, so the fact that 1.5.3 (1215) and 1.5.3 (1305) have exactly
>> the same
>> mod date really messes with my life.
>
> This is what I see, if I Get Info on TextMate in Finder:

I didn't say "If I Get Info". I said, "In the Finder."

> I.e. the build number and the modification date corresponding to when
> r1305 was released.

Correct. But since 1.5.3 (1215) and 1.5.3 (1305) are two different beasts,
they should have different mod dates.

>> * It would be helpful if there were an easy way to update just one
>> bundle.
>> In fact I could probably do the subversion thing, but the people
>> whom I am
>> trying to persuade to use TextMate probably could not [...]
>
> Bundles from the subversion repository are only ensured to work with
> latest (cutting edge) version of TextMate and the Support folder --
> so people should never upgrade to a newer bundle (or Support folder)
> without also upgrading to Cutting Edge of TextMate

Fine, thanks for telling me. This information might be welcome in the
documentation as well. (The docs make no reference to "Cutting Edge" at all,
AFAICT.) By and large, though, my point is that this double method of
updating is problematic for people who merely want to update one bundle
which, as in the case of RubyMate, was giving trouble. If you don't care
about user input on the user experience, fine - ignore it. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!