[TxMt] How to freeze your TextMate

Max Noel maxfnoel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 23:09:35 UTC 2006

On 30 Oct 2006, at 23:39, Nicolas Schmidt wrote:

> I just checked Xcode's behaviour regarding this "feature". Instead
> of waiting until termination and then pasting the output in the
> current window, it pastes program output instantaneously. I think
> this is favourable over TM's behaviour (and the fact that it
> doesn't crash).

The actual problem is not the insertion of text -- it's TextMate's
reparsing of the whole file afterwards. Its scoping system needs to
do it, whereas Xcode's syntax highlighting (which is also a few
orders of magnitude less complex/powerful) can often get away with
only reparsing what's on the screen right now.

TM is slow when processing very large files. It's a known problem
(although not that important if you ask me).

-- Max