[TxMt] Re: odd spacing with "puts" in RubyMate

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Sun Oct 29 18:38:24 UTC 2006

On 10/29/06 9:28 AM, in article
082B2063-A0AD-406E-B6C1-E8A372F1DF25 at macromates.com, "Allan Odgaard"
<throw-away-1 at macromates.com> wrote:

> You could have done a subversion checkout -- and the version number
> of TextMate includes a revision number in parenthesis after the
> 1.5.3, so you could be running 1.5.3 (1215), which is the latest
> official release, or 1.5.3 (1305), which is latest “cutting edge”
> and has seen several changes to RubyMate, amongst other improved
> handling of whitespace (tabs, etc.) -- which version you want to run
> is set in Preferences → Software Update.

Okay, I tried doing a Software Update and got a mild mess. Now when I run a
Ruby script, the RubyMate window ain't pretty any more, and it starts with
this scolding:

bash: line 1: selected_theme: command not found cat:
/Users/mattneub/Library/Application
Support/TextMate/Support/css/webpreview.css: No such file or directory

So I take it that the Software Update process has neglected to provide me
with some piece of the puzzle.

So yes, I am now running r5323 of RubyMate, and yes, the spacing problem
seems to be fixed, but I'm not playing with a full deck any more.

Further Comments:

* It would be helpful if adequate version information (the build number)
were displayed in the Finder.

* It would be helpful if a build with a later build number had a later
modification date; my whole backup / sync system depends upon modification
dates, so the fact that 1.5.3 (1215) and 1.5.3 (1305) have exactly the same
mod date really messes with my life.

* It would be helpful if there were an easier way to see bundle version
numbers (e.g. directly). Consider how Photoshop or Safari displays plug-in
info, for example.

* It would be helpful if there were an easy way to update just one bundle.
In fact I could probably do the subversion thing, but the people whom I am
trying to persuade to use TextMate probably could not. (The first approach I
tried was the validcode.net GetBundle bundle, but I was frustrated to find
that embedded bundles were not among its options.)

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!