[TxMt] Enter to open URL - cmd-enter to open in background?

Timothy Bates timothy.c.bates at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 14:41:48 UTC 2006

>> It is very cool that enter now opens URLs in textmate.
> Actually, this feature has existed for a year or so ;) just felt like
> mentioning in the release notes, as it¹s not directly visible.

So much goodness... So hard to find...

>> It would be a nice addition if, as in Safari and mail.app cmd-enter
>> opened the URL without bringing the browser to the front-most.
> The problem is that there is no API for that.

AppleScript does this for you without activating the application

tell application "WebKit"
    --activate --commented out to show the difference
   open "www.psy.ed.ac.uk"
end tell

So that's one solution - I bet it is what mail.app uses. We could tell by
snooping on apple events