[TxMt] help me get started with textmate doing rails development

Kelly Felkins felkinator-tm at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 27 17:28:37 UTC 2006

Steve

Thanks for the reply.

On Oct 27, 2006, at 10:08 AM, Steve Lianoglou wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I'm trying textmate. How best to be introduced to this editor? Is
>> there a tutorial anywhere -- especially a rails specific one?
>
> I don't intend to sound condescending, but you should try to at
> least look over the manual. Some sections that will be immediately
> helpful are:

I've spent some time in the manual. I hope you didn't write it. I
find it difficult for a beginner to comprehend, namely me. I think I
need something *before* I get into that manual -- something that
steps me through some common operations. Also, I don't think the
manual discusses details introduced by bundles, and I think that may
be important. Please correct me if I'm wrong and I will definitely
take another look at the sections you list below.

>   * Working with Text [1]
>   * Bundles [2]
>
> The screencasts are real helpful too.
> http://macromates.com/screencasts
>
>> etc. What key sequences are doing this expansion?
>
> The Tab key.

I must be missing something here. When I type tab, it appears to
insert a tab. This makes sense to me when I am editing a general text
file. But this is also the behavior when I create a file named
Summer.rb in a rails models folder.

> The "magical" expansions that you'll run across in the screencasts
> and what not are either "Snippets" or "Macros". Keep yours eyes
> open for those words as are you're perusing the manual and it
> should become a bit clearer.
>
> HTH
> -steve
>
> [1] http://macromates.com/textmate/manual/