[TxMt] Mail language scope

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed Oct 25 16:23:30 UTC 2006

On 25. Oct 2006, at 18:11, Jeremy Amos wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2006, at 11:24 AM, Fred B wrote:
>>> Two other things I dislike about using Markdown for email is that
>>> bold (⌘B) wraps the text in two asterisks (and visually *bla* is
>>> italic),
>> Totally agree.
> Shouldn't Markdown for email be using **bla** for bold (since that
> translates to <strong> AFAIK)?

It does, I meant two asterisks on each side.

> And I'd argue that *bla* is visually bold, whereas _bla_ is
> visually italic.

Yes, I was also surprised when I first read the Markdown syntax,
because it says it was inspired by email de facto standards, where we
have done *bold*, /italic/, and _underline_ for more than a decade,
and then Markdown not only treats * and _ the same, it allows
__bold__ and *italic*, that’s just weird.