[TxMt] Mail language scope

Fred B fredb7 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 15:24:08 UTC 2006

On 10/25/06, Allan Odgaard <throw-away-1 at macromates.com> wrote:
> On 25. Oct 2006, at 15:56, Fred B wrote:

> > I think it's a great idea to include Markdown, the only problem I have
> > with this is the need  of two spaces for hard linebreak. It's not a
> > problem for what I write, as I'm used to Markdown, but the quotes are
> > messed when previewing...
>
> IMO this is a flaw of Markdown and should be changed.
>
> I have raised the issue a few times, but the Markdown "community"
> seems more obsessed with things like how to treat two dashes inside
> XML comments, than fixing the multitude of problems and
> inconsistencies with block level environments and embedding of same ;)

Yes, I follow the Markdown mail list and see what you're talking about... ;)
Markdown is the best text markup I know of, but when you use it all
the time, inconsistencies with blocks, lists, etc. show up quite
often. They should be easy to fix if only they settled on a way to fix
it and do it.

> Two other things I dislike about using Markdown for email is that
> bold (⌘B) wraps the text in two asterisks (and visually *bla* is
> italic), and that URLs are not underlined (and thus not
> "clickable") unless written like this: <http://macromates.com/>.

Totally agree.

> The latter though scope injection will be able to easily solve
> (solving it now would require to override a large portion of the
> Markdown grammar, because URLs are matched inside block level
> elements including paragraphs).

I think you should fork Markdown and make TextDown.
And don't tell me you don't have the time.
Ok, I'm out. :D