[TxMt] Re: SQL Problems

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 18 21:57:58 UTC 2006

Matthew Anderson wrote:
 > I bet it's pretty easy to build the module yourself,
 > I think the project page is [1].  I haven't done it,
 > but it's verylikely just un- tar it, and do a "sudo
 > python setup.py install".
 >
 > A newer version of Python (2.4.3) and MySQLdb are
 > both nicely packaged for the Mac at [2].  I don't
 > think you can use the nice packaged version of
 > MySQLdb without installing the Python 2.4 package
 > as well (though I've never tried).
 >
 > There isn't any reason *not* to install the newer
 > python though, unless you make use the proprietary
 > Apple python extensions that tie into the Cocoa
 > libraries.  Even if you do, you can still call up
 > the Apple packaged python with the shell command
 > "python2.3".
 >
 > [1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python
 > [2] http://pythonmac.org/packages/py24-fat/index.html

At this point I don't think there's any reason *not*
to just install [Python 2.5][py25] from python.org,
and then do the `sudo python setup.py install` routine.
There are some nifty new things in python 2.5, and as
far as I know, no issues running code for 2.3 or 2.4.

[py25]: http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5/

-Jacob