[TxMt] AUtomatic line break with textmate ?

Erwan David erwan at rail.eu.org
Mon Oct 16 13:54:22 UTC 2006

Le Mon 16/10/2006, Allan Odgaard disait
> On 16. Oct 2006, at 14:20, Erwan David wrote:
>
> >It seems that OE is in this case... (why can it not send in 8bit
> >encoding when answering to a f=f message, if it is not broken ?)
>
> So if you send a f=f letter to an OE user, and he replies, the reply
> is encoded with QP, but had you not sent it as f=f, it would be 8
> bit? That is a rather peculiar pattern, as whether OE can send the
> reply as 7 bit or 8 bit would depend on which SMTP it goes through.

Yes it is... and yes OE is a very special thing..

> That said, sending a 7 bit QP reply is not in anyway broken, it is in
> fact what  most mailers do, since you can’t blindly assume that
> SMTP’s will support 8 bit.

It makes some burden on the receiving end which is not wanted.

> >And MUAs not f=f aware will show 1 line per paragraph, which is
> >ugly and may be inconvenient (wrapping in the middle of a word or
> >not showing the whole line).
>
> No they will not. Take my second reply in this thread, if you view it
> in Mail it appears first as a quoted paragraph and then a non-quoted
> paragraph. Both flow to the width of the window.

Ok, so it must be that my MUA (mutt) is NOT f=f aware in sending. It is
possible, but since I cannot find any other mailer which can correctly
handle threading, ML and other prioritary features...

--
Erwan David