[TxMt] opening Projects from command line

William Scott wgscott at chemistry.ucsc.edu
Sat Oct 7 06:39:55 UTC 2006

I'm a new (but paid up) textmate luser, and I am beginning to appreciate
the advantages of saving projects, but find that I tend to have them
scattered all over my user directory.  I also have a bad memory, so
sometimes not only do I forget where they are, I forget what I have named
them.  I wanted an easy command-line way to find and open textmate
projects regardless of where they are located.  I wrote a shell script
that uses mdfind to locate them, permit listing of them, and open
them.  This works as a shell script or a zsh function.

http://tinyurl.com/j6gbb/tmpj

tmpj foo

opens the project named foo (actually it will open all projects named foo,
so tweak the script if this is problematic) in any location.

If used as a zsh function, I wrote an accompanying completer:

http://tinyurl.com/j6gbb/_tmpj

Then all you do is type tmpj and hit the tab key and you can permute
through a list of every textmate project on your hard drive that has been
indexed by SpotLight. If you don't want to use zsh, then you can isue the
command

tmpj -l

and it will do the same and list possible projects.  Then you just pick a
project from the list and issue

tmpj foo

as before.

HTH someone.