[TxMt] snippet and command questions (toggle comments, hard-wrap, etc.)

Jason Moore jmoore at xinsight.ca
Wed Oct 4 14:10:37 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm a new to textmate and loving it so far. i have a couple of
questions that i've saved up after my first week of use that i was
hoping someone could help me with:

* i find that snippets make it easy to add text - but i'm not so sure
how to modify existing text. e.g. i find i am always commenting out
code in css, so i added this snippet (and bound to a key):

/* $TM_SELECTED_TEXT */

great! ok, now how would i remove comments? (or even better, how to
toggle comments on the current line?)

* hard-wrap: i know textmate doesn't support this out of the box, but
with vi i always used "fmt". so here's my command which i bound to a
key:

fmt << ___END___
$TM_SELECTED_TEXT
___END___

this isn't ideal (what if the text has ___END___ in it? fmt barfs on
non-ascii, and i always get an extra newline.) is there a better way?

* some snippets show a series of options, which you cannot select (they
just get erased when you start to type.) what's the idea - just a
simple reminder - or am i using it wrong? e.g. in the css bundle:

list-style-type: ${1:none/disc/circle/square};$0

why not just make 4 snippets - so then you get the popup and can choose
which one? (so i could hit '1' instead of typing in 'none'.)

well, i've got lots more questions, but that's probably enough for now.

:jason