[TxMt] Using default editor on remote connections

Jerzy Gangi jerzy at jhu.edu
Mon Oct 2 21:47:12 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm fairly new to TextMate - I use it to develop Java applications
and my website in an academic enviornment.  I followed directions on
the TM website to make TM my default Cocoa Text Field editor in OS X
(from here: http://macromates.com/textmate/manual/
using_textmate_from_terminal).  I press splat + ctrl + E in nearly
any application* and I can edit the field with TM.  This is a
fantastic feature to which I have grown addicted.

However, I find myself ssh-ing into servers around campus and I can't
use TM to edit files in the shell (since the EDITOR variable is
obviously local to my machine).  Is it possible in my .bash_profile
on remote servers to open files in my local TM?  This would be great...

I'll conclude by saying that I have very little *nix knowledge, so
please be gentle!

Thank you for your help - I've learned a lot on this list.
- Jerzy G.

*Firefox text boxes don't seem to work - I presume it's not a Cocoa
text field?