[TxMt] Re: Latex tables and Excel

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Sun Oct 1 20:17:36 UTC 2006

Will,
On Oct 1, 2006, at 2:15 PM, William Yang wrote:

> Daniel Käsmayr wrote:
>> Will,
>> an interesting question I was thinking about last night as well. I
>> haven't tested this, but exporting as csv (comma separated or any
>> other symbol is posssible, I believe) opens up all kinds of
>> possibilities with TextMate's regex search…?
>> btw and very OT: … is there any alternative to excel on the mac?
>> a) for calculating and b) for plotting?

Ok, first answering Daniel's OT question:
There is the R language, depending on what you want to do. I will
probably use it for most of my spreadsheeting needs. http://www.r-
project.org/

>> Dan
> I was hoping for something simpler since I work with small
> tables...something like copy table into Textmate, click convert,
> and boom, Latex table.  I modified the existing Convert Table
> script to work with Excel and it works for my needs, but probably
> misses many corner cases.  If anyone has a better solution please
> post. Thanks

So, could you explain to us why just copying and pasting from Excel
didn't work for you? I don't have Excel on my mac to test, but the
Excel in my windows machine seems to paste the cells as being tab-
delimited, which IIRC is what the convert macro expects, so it would
seem you wouldn't need to do anything at all differently. So could
you show us the pasted Excel text that wasn't working for you? (You
can use the Pastie service, i.e. select the text in textmate, and
press ctrl-shift-opt-V, then paste the resulting link here.

> Will

Haris