[TxMt] Re: escaping characters (in the document)

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 30 17:48:19 UTC 2006

Rob McBroom wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2006, at 6:39 PM, Kevin Ballard wrote:
>> Why do you want to type control codes directly? It's a lot safer to
>> use escape sequences.

Let me just emphasize this.  *Why* do you need control codes?  For what?
  Is there a use case, or is this just for the fun of it?

> On Nov 29, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Jacob Rus wrote:
>> Did you try showing invisibles?  I believe these show up as different
>> from spaces or tabs, but I don't remember exactly what they look like.
>
> Yes, I did. It shows the same diamond you would see for a regular space.

It doesn't show anything at all for a regular space, so there is indeed
a difference.  But all your control characters are going to show up as
diamonds.

>> In any case, you should be able to copy/paste them into a textmate
>> control from another window, or [...]
>
> Well, I can actually type these things into most Textmate controls using
> the ⌃Q trick. For example, create a file with the string "foobar" in it
> somewhere, bring up the Find dialogue

Yes, because the find dialog uses a regular Cocoa text box.  The
textmate control I'm referring to is the main editor window.

-Jacob