[TxMt] Word Count ?

Paul McCann paul.mccann at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Nov 30 07:19:06 UTC 2006

Hi again,

> If you look at the pdf/ps source file, it is filled with special
> commands and things. I suppose if you could export the pdf file to
> a txt file, then you could count the words there with ease.

Believe me, I've had a good look inside pdf files. Not somewhere I'd
like to live! Re exporting: nothing obvious rears its head up here,
and Preview only allows you to export to graphical formats from pdf.

> You are better off with the small error from counting words in the
> latex source instead.

Agreed: that's definitely what I would do if faced with such a task,
so a simple command with . Thankfully I've rarely encountered a task
in which the exact number of words is going to be crucial, but I
imagine some essays/projects might have strict limits. Still, if you
submit a pdf file the assessor is going to have to find a way to
determine the word count!

Just for completeness' sake I tried Adobe's online pdf conversion
tool on the same file I mentioned earlier (250 page pdf).

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html

It's been literally 5 minutes now and the thing is still spinning its
wheels ("Please wait while the requested PDF file is being
converted"), so I don't think that's going to come charging in to
rescue the situation!

Cheers,
Paul