[TxMt] escaping characters (in the document)

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Wed Nov 29 19:58:58 UTC 2006

I've read the documentation and done some searching and haven't found
the answer to this.

For shell init scripts and various other purposes, I'd like to be
able to "type" characters like ⌃[ or ⌃G. You know, the kind of
thing you would precede with ⌃V in the Terminal. It seems that Cocoa
has a key binding for this (NSQuotedKeystrokeBinding, which is ⌃Q by
default), but it is used for another purpose in Textmate. Has the
functionality been remapped or do I need to try to define it for
Textmate myself? It doesn't seem to be set…

     rob at kendra ~> defaults read com.macromates.Textmate
NSQuotedKeystrokeBinding
     2006-11-29 14:47:10.910 defaults[6713]
     The domain/default pair of (com.macromates.Textmate,
NSQuotedKeystrokeBinding) does not exist

On a related note, I'd like to be able to "see" these characters as
well, or perhaps toggle them of and on (with ⌥⌘I ideally). Texmate
is better than most Cocoa apps, as it seems to display a space in
place of such characters instead of nothing at all, but I'd like to
know what that space represents. Has anyone tried enabling
[NSTextShowsControlCharacters][] in Textmate? I'm guessing there
would be undesired side-effects.

Should I have asked these questions before Allan took off? :)

[NSTextShowsControlCharacters]: http://developer.apple.com/
documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/EventOverview/TextDefaultsBindings/
chapter_9_section_4.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000468-610689

---
Rob